March 18, 2011

Good neighbors.

I finished my meetings by 2 o'clock-ish today... on this day of 80 degree wonderfulness.  It has been a longgggg winter, and it is starting to bring me down.  So a day of sunshine was exactly what I have been looking forward to.  It's amazing how great it felt to sit on my back deck and eat lunch.

While enjoying some spectacular chicken salad and green tea my neighbor walked out of his house and we began to talk.  Now sometimes you just do not want to talk to people, and you just want to sit quietly and enjoy your lunch.  But this guy is one of the nicest people in the entire world and is ALWAYS a joy to talk to.  The topic of conversation does not matter.  Happiness and goodness simply radiate from this man.

When our conversation ended, I began to wonder why most people are not like him.  I mean heck, am I even like him?  Does happiness and joy radiate from me?!  Honest answer:  Not always.  Anyways, he is always smiling, even when his 3 year old and 2 year old are driving him up the wall.  He is always willing to lend a hand, even when it is monsooning out and my roof is leaking water into my kitchen ceiling.  He is always looking out for my roommate and me, along with the other neighbors on the street, even at 2AM shortly after a few break-ins occurred.

What does it take to be THIS NICE of a person?  I'm not saying he's perfect.  Because in my personal opinion, no one is.  Everyone has their faults, and their bad days.  But really, what does it take?  What do people think of me after a short conversation or brief encounter?  What do people think of you after a short conversation or brief encounter?  It's just something to ponder...

I am super excited to begin this project.  SUPER excited.  As I said before, the amount of work that goes into getting people on board and to get the ball rolling can be quite overwhelming!  At this point I am working on the "kick off week."  I'm thinking there will be a blitz of Glimmer Cards that will show up around Hampton Roads.  Maybe fifty or so.  That's the only way to really see what will happen from the start.  We have to kick off with more than just one card a day.  Let's see what people do when someone does something nice for them and they receive a card.  Will they actually pass it on?

(Speaking of Glimmer Cards!  I need to make a shout out to my good friend Katie at Julep Studios in Richmond, Virginia.  This girl is a "Jill of all Trades."  She does a bit of everything, including stationary designs.  She has volunteered to help me design the Glimmer Cards for free!  Once she works up a few designs, I will get the cards printed and we can let the fun begin!)

Believe it or not, when I mention this to people, their immediate reaction is to ask for the website because they have someone they want to share it with!  It is super encouraging to know that there are people who also LOVE this idea as much as I do.  Talk about a glimmer of hope!

I'm excited to make this work.  I'm excited to make people smile.  I'm excited to see the results of the project.  I'm excited to prove that despite the BAD economy, the BAD politics, the BAD earthquake in Japan, the BAD customer service, the BAD attitudes, and the BAD news... that there is still GOOD.  GOOD people, GOOD hearts, GOOD friends, GOOD neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for all of your comments! I promise all of them are read and appreciated! :)